The Lord Jesus is alive! His disciples were overjoyed! After He came alive, the Lord appeared to them in person over a period of forty days and spoke to them about the kingdom of God. Soon it was time for him to leave them. Then as they were looking, He went up to heaven before their eyes. A cloud hid him from their sight. As the disciples were looking intently up into the sky as He was going., suddenly two angels dressed in white stood beside them. “Why do you stand here looking into the sky?” they said. “This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen him go into heaven.” This is the wonderful promise for all of us, believers, today: Our Lord is coming again!
What does God tell us in the Bible about Lord Jesus’ second coming?
- Only God knows the time of his coming.
- He will come in the clouds with His angels, with a shout and a trumpet sound and great glory! And every eye will see Him!
- He will come as the King of kings and Lord of lords! He will rule the earth with goodness and justice for all.
- He will throw Satan and his demons into the hell prepared for them.
- He will gather all God’s children to himself.
- He will come as a fearsome Judge of all who have not accepted him as their Savior.
- The Bible calls this “the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ”.
As we wait for our Lord’s return, He says, “Watch and pray.”
The last book of the Bible called Revelations ends with this glorious promise from our Lord and Savior: “Surely I am coming quickly.” And we reply joyously: “Amen. Come, Lord Jesus.”
Prayer: “Lord Jesus, we eagerly wait for your return. Please help us to be ready.”